This discussion is now closed.
Discussion 2 Timeline
9 comments30comments4 comments14comments2 comments
Assessing the impacts of climate change on water, identifying vulnerabilities, building resilience and adapting water use/management requires strong capacities and good governance structures and mechanisms, as well as the ability to share experiences, practices and knowledge. Any action should consider long-term sustainability.
The 8th World Water Forum will host focused discussions on these cross-cutting subjects – capacity, governance, sharing and sustainability – in order to identify the main hindrances and actions required to overcome difficulties that are common to the 6 core themes (climate, people, development, urban, ecosystems and financing).
- How can education and capacity building for water be enhanced for climate change?
- In relation to climate change, what opportunities do new technologies offer for the improvement of water monitoring? What about for information communication technology (ICT) and decision/policy making?
- How do international cooperation initiatives enhance water capacity development for climate change?
- How do you, or could you, contribute to the design and implementation of integrated water resources management (IWRM) policies or projects in Climate?
- How do you foster transboundary co-operation in Climate?
- How do you ensure multi-level governance, engage stakeholders and assess the results of policies in Climate?
- How to better share solutions and good practices for the implementation of water and climate related SDGs? Who must be involved?
- How to involve all in water management and governance aspects related to climate change: public, private, civil society - women and men - young and old - in bottom up and top down approaches?
- How to ensure respect for cultural diversity, justice and equity in the water sector, while sharing science and traditional knowledge, from the water and climate perspective?
- How can Water and Climate help mainstream sustainability issues related to water to the center of decision-making and strategy definition by governments and business?
- How can Water and Climate help improving society resilience to water issues, giving that water availability is reducing in most countries and the consumption is increasing?
- Water issues are regional, hard to be solved individually by local governments or companies. How can Water and Climate stimulate collaborative actions that will lead to a sustainable use of water resources?