This discussion is now closed.
Water of appropriate quantity and quality and maintenance of natural environments, ecosystems and biodiversity are all mutually dependent. Fully understanding the relationships between these factors, along with the planning and implementation of effective practices, requires strong capacities and good governance structures and mechanisms, as well as the ability to share experiences, practices and knowledge. Any action should consider long-term sustainability.
The 8th World Water Forum will host focused discussions on these cross-cutting subjects – capacity, governance, sharing and sustainability – in order to identify the main hindrances and actions required to overcome difficulties that are common to the 6 core themes (climate, people, development, urban, ecosystems and financing).
- How can education and capacity building for water be enhanced to ensure healthy ecosystems?
- In relation to water and ecosystems, what opportunities do new technologies offer for the improvement of water monitoring? What about for information communication technology (ICT) and decision/policy making?
- How do international cooperation initiatives enhance water capacity development to ensure healthy ecosystem?
- How do you, or could you, contribute to designing and implementing integrated water resources management (IWRM) policies or projects in Ecosystems?
- How do you foster transboundary co-operation in Ecosystems?
- How do you ensure multi-level governance, engage stakeholders and assess the results of policies in Ecosystems?
- How to better share solutions and good practices for the implementation of water and ecosystems related SDGs? Who must be involved?
- How to involve all in water management and governance aspects related to healthy ecosystems: public, private, civil society - women and men - young and old - in bottom up and top down approaches?
- How to ensure respect for cultural diversity, justice and equity in the water sector, while sharing science and traditional knowledge, from the water and ecosystems perspective?
- How can Water and Ecosystems help mainstream sustainability issues related to water to the center of decision-making and strategy definition by governments and business?
- How can Water and Ecosystems help improving society resilience to water issues, giving that water availability is reducing in most countries and the consumption is increasing?
- Water issues are regional, hard to be solved individually by local governments or companies. How can Water and Ecosystems stimulate collaborative actions that will lead to a sustainable use of water resources?